Frequently Asked Questions: Visa to enter Nepal

by samyak
Frequently Asked Questions: Visa to enter Nepal
Frequently Asked Questions: Travelling to Nepal

Visa and Immigration

Do I need a visa to enter Nepal?

All foreign nationals, except Indian Citizens, need visa to enter Nepal

What do I need to get my visa?

You need a valid passport, two passport size photos and money.

Where do I apply to get my visa?

· The best way to apply for visa is from the Royal Nepalese diplomatic missions in your home country.
· The other choice is to get it from Immigration office at the entry points of Nepal.

Now, what are the entry points of Nepal?

They are:

    • · Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu
    • · Kakarvitta (Jhapa) (Eastern Part of Nepal that has border with India)
    • · Birgunj, (Parsa) (Central Part of Nepal that has border with India)
    • · Kodari (Sindhupalchok) (Northern Border with Tibet)
    • · Belahiya, (Bhaieahwa) (Rupandehi, Western Part that has border with India)
    • · Jamunaha (Nepalgunj) (Banke, Mid-western Part that has border with India)
    • · Mohana (Dhangadhi) (Kailali, Far Western Part that has border with India)
    • · GaddaChauki (Mahendranagar) (Kanchanpur, Far Western Part that has border with India)

I am in Varnasi (Indian City) these days. I would like to come to Nepal for a week. I know the entry points to come to Nepal. Can u tell me the cost of tourist visa?

The tourist visa can be obtained for the following duration and you can pay the visa fee either in Nepalese Rupees or in US dollars.

Period (Duration)Fee (US $)
60 days single entry
(For the First visit in a visa year)
30 days single entry,
(For next visit within the same visa year)
Single Re-entry25.00
Double Re-entry40.00
Multiple Re-entry60.00


What if I decided to stay more than 60 days in Nepal? Where and what should I do to extend my Tourist Visa?

There’s no problem in it. The Immigration Department of Kathmandu or Pokhara can extend the visa for another 30 days and the charge for this is US$ 50. Indeed the visa can be extended for a total of 120 days, an additional 30 days visa may be granted on reasonable grounds from the Immigration Office. Nevertheless, a tourist cannot stay in Nepal under tourist-visa for more than 150 cumulative days.

Well, I am not surprised to know the maximum duration of time for a tourist to stay in Nepal under tourist visa. Instead I would like to know the addresses of the Department of Immigration Office of Kathmandu and Pokhara.

Okay, here are the addresses and their telephone numbers:

Baneshwor, Kathmandu
Working Hours:
Monday to Friday: 9.00 am. To 5.00 pm
(9.00 am – 4.00 PM in winter)
Tel: 977-1- 494273, 977- 1- 495813
Fax: 977 -1- 494267

Pardi, Pokhara
Working Hours:
Monday to Friday: 9.00 am. To 5.00 pm
(9.00 am – 4.00 PM in winter)
Tel: 977-61- 21167

I am a mother of eight-year-old kid. Do I need to pay for my child’s visa?

Any children below 10 years has visa fee exemption. So the visa fee for your eight-year child is free.

I am a student doing my Energy Management Course. I want to come to Nepal for my project study on Hydro Electricity Potential of Nepal. Do you know whether I can get study-visa to come to Nepal?

The Department of Immigration on the recommendation of Ministry of Education does provide student visa for US$ 40 per month. You are welcome to Nepal for your studies!!!

I am fascinated with the handicrafts of Nepal. I want to visit Nepal under business visa. Can you tell me the fee of Business Visa?

The department of Immigration on the recommendation of Ministry of Industry issues visas to foreign investors and businessman for US$ 100 for one year and US$250 for five years.

Besides study visa and tourist visa, are there any other types of visas to enter Nepal?

There are of course many other types of visa besides the ones that you mentioned above. For example, there is Non-tourist visa, Residential Visa, Diplomatic Visa, Official Visa and Transit Visa.

Non-tourist visa sounds interesting. What are non-tourist visas?

Well, this visa is for Foreigners involved in official works, INGO, Missions and employees working in different institutions, representative of the press agencies and magazines, workers of diplomatic and official visa holders, person of Nepalese origin holding foreign passport and foreigner married to a Nepalese citizen. The department of Immigration on the recommendation of concerned agencies issues this visa and the visa fee list is as follows:
A) US$ 60 per month for the first year and US$ 100 for the next year for non-tourist.
B) US$ 10 per month for journalist press visa.
C) US$ 20per month for those working in HMG office or project.
D) US$ 20 for marriage visa.

I am gonna be in transit at the Tribhuvan International Airport of Kathmandu for sometime. Do you think I will require transit visa?

If you need to stay in a transit period of around 48 hours at the airport of Kathmandu, the airport immigration office issues a transit visa for around US$5.

Is there any other important information that I should be aware of before I come to Nepal?

Some regular routine work could involve the following:
· Foreigners are requested to get the arrival/departure stamps on their passport at the entry/exit points to avoid further legal complications.
· Living in Nepal without passport or a valid visa is a punishable offense.
· A trekking permit is essential for any purpose of visit to Nepal’s protected area. Check out Trekking for more details on trekking.
· Foreigners are advised to be aware of brokers/cheaters or any counterfeit documents of visa/trekking permit to avoid legal complications. Foreigners are advised to visit/trek through recognized agency.
Please do not seek support of any unauthorized person.
· Foreigners are advised to contact the Department of Immigration for visa transfers.
· Please don’t take out the visa stickers from passport and do not try to temper printed matters in the passport.

Lastly, Can you give me the address of Tourist Information Centers of Nepal?

Nepal Tourism Board
Tourist Service Center
Bhrikutimandap, Kathmandu
Working days: Sunday to Friday
Office Hours: 9 am to 5 pm
9 am to 4 pm (in winter)
Phone No.: 256909, 247039, 256216
Fax: 977-1- 256910

This information center provides travel and tourism related information, free brochures and posters of Nepal.



This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy