How to make Quanti
- 3 cups mixed beans (kidney beans, black-eyed beans, chickpeas, soyabeans, mung beans, green beans, black beans, white beans)
- 1 teaspoon jwanu (lovage seeds)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon musturd seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 3 fresh red chilies, minced
- Â½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups yogurt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons musturd oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped for garnish
- In a large bowl with water soak beans overnight. Drain the water, wash
the beans. Cover the bowl and set it in a warm place to allow sprouting.
It takes about 2-3 days depending on the desired length of sprouts.
To cook, heat oil in a saucepan. Fry jwanu, fennel seeds, and musturd
seeds until light brown. Add 3 cups of sprouted beans and fry for 2 min.
under medium heat. Add chili, cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger,
turmeric, salt, and pepper. Mix to coat the sprouted beans well, for
about 2 min. Add tomatoes, broth and yogurt to the beansâ€™ mixture. Bring
to a boil and let simmer in low heat until the sprouts are tender and
the desired consistency of the soup has been achieved. Garnish with
chopped green onions. Serve with rice.
Submitted by: Tulsi Regmi