Recipe to make Lentil Soup (Dal)
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 Tbs. peeled minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. seeded, chopped fresh green chili
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tamarind concentrate
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1/4 black mustard seed
- 1/2 five-spice
- Bring water to boil in pan over medium heat. Add lentils. Reduce heat
- and simmer covered until lentils are tender, about 15 minutes. They
- should break easily when pressed between thumbs and index fingers.
- Remove from heat.
Puree this mixture with ginger and green chili in blender until smooth.
Return to pan and bring to simmer. Add salt, sugar, and tamarind and
stir to dissolve the tamarind. Remove from heat.
Heat oil in a 6-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Fry black mustard
seeds for a few seconds. As soon as the seeds start popping remove from
heat and pour contents of pan over the lentil mixtures. Simmer 2 to 3
more minutes. Stir in five spice. Cover and let stand for a few minutes
to help develop the flavors. Garnish with lemon wedges and cilantro and
Submitted by: Mingma Lama