- 3 cups mixed beans (kidney beans, black-eyed beans, chickpeas, soya
- beans, mung beans, green beans, black beans, white beans, red beans)
- 1/2 lb. Meat (lamb, chicken, or turkey), cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon jwanu (lovage seeds)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon musturd seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 3 fresh red chilies, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups yogurt
- 4 cups rich lamb broth
- 3 tablespoons musturd oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped, for garnish
- In a large bowl with water soak beans overnight. Drain the water, wash
the beans. Cover the bowl and set it in a warm place to allow sprouting.
It takes about 2-3 days depending on the desired length of sprouts.
To cook, in a large bowl combine meat, salt, and pepper with 1
tablespoon of musturd oil. In a saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of oil; fry
jwanu, fennel seeds, and musturd seeds until light brown. Add the meat
mixture and brown well. Add 3 cups of sprouted beans and fry for 2 min.
under medium heat. Add chilies, cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger,
turmeric, salt, and pepper. Mix to coat the meat and sprouted beans
well, for about 2 min. Add tomatoes, broth and yogurt to the beans’
mixture. Bring to a boil and let simmer in low heat until the meat and
sprouts are tender and the desired consistency of the soup has been
achieved. Garnish with chopped green onions. Serve with rice.
Submitted by: Tulsi Regmi